BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

NU Pep Squad practice Tuesday March 15


When I watch the annual Cheerdance Competition or even the traditional halftime cheering, I am seeing only the finished product. What I do not see are the hours and hours of constant practice where a lot of people get hurt trying to perfect routines. I can only hope that the book that I wrote, Rise, that is about the NU Pep Squad, does them justice.

Having said that, today was the first time I watched the NU Pep Squad train for an upcoming competition, the NCC. And I found myself standing up and getting worried. It took all my willpower not to rush onto the mats and try and catch someone.

It was an eye opener -- the almost two hours I was at the NU Pep Squad's practice. I had fun and well, I think I aged a bit watching all those stunts and routines. It is definitely not for the faint of heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment