BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, January 11, 2016

I'm going back to Anfield


I’m clearly excited to be going back to Anfield for the second time in my life. During my first trip there in October of 2013, I caught the local derby with Everton that ended in a 1-1 draw. At least, it wasn’t a loss so it didn't dampen too much my first time in that place that I first heard because of the Beatles and then because of their football club.

Now, I’ll be catching Liverpool against Arsenal — and another big game at that — this coming Wednesday, January 13 at Anfield. That's huge!

As a long-time Liverpool fan, it is a dream to be watching the team at their home field. Previously, I’ve only seen them in them in pre-season matches in the United States, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, and Malaysia. Premier League matches especially for someone who lives half the world away is a dream. Usually, the television set is our only portal. 

Liverpool are far removed from their championship ways and they’re currently in a rebuilding-getting-to-know-you mode with new manager Jurgen Klopp. They have thrilled and allowed me (and many others I am sure) to dream a bit. Unfortunately, they too, have disappointed. However, that doesn’t make me any less of a fan. You take the good and the bad. 

Honestly, to be asked to cover their matches and exhibition tours is a dream come true. To be able to interview people like Rafa Benitez, Andy Carroll, Brendan Rogers, Lucas Leiva, and former team stars like Didi Hamman and Luis Garcia have been very memorable. 

This time around, I have been granted access to the post-match press conference. I am clearly excited. During my Anfield Tour in 2013, I got to see where the post-match interviews are held (it used to be the former Boot Room). Now, I’ll be there for an actual post-match. 

Now hopefully, the team can get a good results and some points if not the full three, from that match. 

Just a few more nights before I fly off to England!

Thanks to Liverpool Football Club and Standard Chartered!





No comments:

Post a Comment