BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, January 8, 2016

Football jerseys in my collection #1 Azkals & their (former) mother clubs


When Neil Etheridge made his debut for the Philippine Men's National Team in 2008, he left a huge impression on everyone. He was confident, commanding, and superb at goal. During that highly memorable 2008 AFC Challenge Cup Qualifiers, he kept three clean sheets in three matches! 

I tried as much as I could to follow him on Fulham where he was a reserve keeper and played behind Mark Schwarzer and David Stockdale. He did make his debut for Fulham during a Europa League match against Odense Boldklub that ended in a 2-2 draw. 

Some of his well known teammates at that time included Clint Dempsey, Bobby Zamora, and John Arne Riise. And speaking of Riise who once played for my favorite football team in the world, Liverpool, Etheridge grew up a Reds fans! 

His Fulham jersey above, I wore during the Azkals' first home match during 2011; a win over Mongolia. The only one in yellow in a sea of blue and red. 


This yellow shirt is the jersey of former Philippine Men's National Team defender Ray Jonsson when he was playing for Grindavik in Iceland. Sure is great to have this in my collection more so since Ray is, was, and will always be one of my fave players to suit up for the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment