BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, November 2, 2015

Gerald Tabios' post NYC Marathon thoughts


Before reading this, you might want to check out my previous entry before Gerald Tabios' NY Marathon run in this link


Gerald's thoughts on the run (he finished in 3:41:12):


The race was amazing and the weather was just perfect. I went out too fast at halfway through the marathon at 1:38:24 averaging at 8 min/mile but for whatever reason I experienced cramping in my toes in the last five miles and finished the race in 3:41:12 which I average at 8:27min/mile. But last year’s NYCM despite of braving the cold and windy condition, I finished the race in 3:33:24. Some runs are just bad runs and bad runs happen. However, I am always happy everytime I cross the finish line. I always try my best and my success is based on my effort, but not the achievements of others.


The New York Marathon is so far the best marathon. It has the best crowds ever, and the ethnic diversity along the course is hearing a different kind of noise. It is not an easy course, but the cheering spectators can push you up to the end. I also noticed that this years NYCM is a day after halloween, I saw a lot of runners dressed up in some wacky outfits.

Lastly, even though I was born in the Philippines, New York is now my second hometown, I love my hometown race and that drives me to keep on running this race. After 11th NYC finishes, I have no plans on ending my streak in the future.



------------------

Gerald is someone I met online as he reads my blog, Bleachers Brew. We both lived in NYC at the same time but never met. Hopefully soon, I get to move back to my favorite city in the world and meet up with my friend here. Good run and good job, Gerald.

1 comment:

  1. Rick,

    Thanks so much for the articles and sharing my experiences in the field of running. It is my pleasure!  Hopefully sure too, we will see each other here in the big apple in person and "offline".
    My message for marathoners: whether it is your 1st or 10th running a marathon, its about keeping your annual goal and motivated to get to the start line.

    Regards,
    Gerald

    ReplyDelete