BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, October 23, 2015

Mike Reyes is now Southwestern University's Athletic Director

Mike Reyes is now SWU Athletic Director
by rick olivares

Mike Reyes, the younger brother of former Talk ’N Text and Gilas Pilipinas coach Chot, has been made Athletic Director of Southwestern University.

“I’ve been coaching for 23 years but have no experience as an administrator,” said Reyes. “The closest experience I have was serving as the basketball coordinator of the University of San Carlos (also in Cebu) for eight years. 

Coaching wise, Reyes, who most recently was Yayoy Alcoseba’s chief assistant with the Cobras, previously was the chief tactician for the Ateneo Blue Eaglets in the UAAP where they won championships in 1994 and 1996 as well as the Passarelle Division in 1992. Reyes’ Eaglets was that celebrated batch that included Enrico Villanueva, Wesley Gonzales, Ryan Pamintuan, Epok Quimpo, BJ Manalo, and LA Mumar to name a few. The core of that team won the seniors 2002 championship.

Working in tandem with Alcoseba, Reyes was a part of two CESAFI champion squads — 2012-13 and 2014-15.

“I thought I’d retire as a coach,” said Reyes. “So this is a new challenge. The overall performance of SWU is good. We have champion teams in volleyball, badminton, and basketball. We have to find ways to ensure we are competitive and to also help our other varsity squads." 

Reyes has enjoyed living in Cebu for over a dozen years now. “It’s fun and a nice change of pace. Nakaka-miss lang yung family (the Reyeses save for younger brother Jun who lives in the United States are all in Manila) but I do not miss the Manila traffic."

1 comment:

  1. I read the article 5 times just to confirm what I was reading, because dyslexia kicked in, and kept reading "Mike Reyes" as "Mika Reyes" lol.

    ReplyDelete