BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, January 12, 2015

UAAP Men's Football: Ateneo vs La Salle


Sunday January 11, 2015
Lorenzo Field, Ateneo
Result: 0-0

My first UAAP football match Since Season 75. I happened to be along Katipunan when I bumped in Ateneo's KG Gueye who told me there was a football match goign on between Ateneo and La Salle. I caught the second half of action and here are my thoughts based on those 45 minutes…

Ateneo owned the first 15 minutes after which La Salle dominated. Good runs from all sides of the field by the Green Booters. The problem was the decision making in the final third. When they needed to take a shot, they crossed. When they should have looked for a cutting teammate, they fired wildly into space. 

The Blue Booters have a young team. I think they have 14 rookies? I could be wrong with the number. They have some talent but really lack the big game experience to pull it out. I thought they had a problem with their fitness and conditioning. They looked gassed out. They have some guys who can move the ball up. Their problem is they don't attack in numbers. Was looking for the overlapping runs but none was forthcoming. They need to be a little more aware of their spacing on defense. There's a huge hole in from of their back four. La Salle was teeing off unmarked from that spot just above. Stopper anyone? And what gives? When on offense, La Salle left their striker up front by himself while Ateneo left three defenders behind. I think two will suffice. The other should take up an advance postion in case of a passback or join the attack. 

For both squads (and I have noticed this a lot in local football), they tend to dribble too much. Fire away when you're coming up close. They go right back in for the rebound. 

This was a thrilling scoreless draw (even if I only saw 45 minutes of play).

No comments:

Post a Comment