BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, January 5, 2015

On Roger Gorayeb going to NU

So you know the story. Roger Gorayeb was approached by NU to help out with their volleyball team before Christmas. He had apprehensions given they have coaches and it’s the middle of the season. He said he'd think about it but NU was adamant about it as they fear for a lost season. He asked if he could just wait until the end of the season so as to prevent any talks about making sulot someone else's job. He didn't want anyone pushed out and opted to be a consultant. The set up was supposed to be Ariel De La Cruz as head coach with, Edjjet as assistant and Roger as consultant (he preferred to help with the training and offer tips). The sad thing is Coach Ariel resigned (he wasn't let go) at the height of this mess (there are too many cooks in the upper kitchen). Said Roger, “When I went to Ateneo, they had their assistant coaches in Clint Malazo and Micmic Laborte. I never had them removed. Why do I want anyone removed? Hanap buhay yan.”

Personally, I told coach during our many conversations during the Holiday season that I had apprehensions about all this. I feel some people are too impatient with winning. How many coaches have they had in the past three years? Four. Francis Vicente, Edjjet Mabayad. Ariel De La Cruz and now Roger.

The die is cast and the man truly loves the sport. In fact, he went to England a few months ago to help conduct training clinics. As for me? I can only support my friend 100%. I am curious to see if he can work his magic with them.


Now sana umayos yung mga ibang player na tatamadtamad.

No comments:

Post a Comment