BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Like visiting an old friend: My trip to Rough Trade Records East


While my introduction to music was the Beatles and then later on bands like Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, KISS, Queen, and Deep Purple to name a few, I guess I came off age, in terms of music in the 1980s when I was in high school and the New Wave era was in full swing. It was there I bought my first vinyl records and began to expand my music horizons. I eschewed the 70s and went for the anti-establishment that was punk, reggae, and ska. 

If you were a serious music fan back in those New Wave 80s then you would have heard of Rough Trade Records. At first, they were the purveyor of indie music that made the genre available to the culture-starved like me. But you still had to be a moneyed person to get the releases coming out of Rough Trade if you lived in Manila. 

Eventually, Rough Trade branched out and became their own record label. I have the complete catalogue of British Sea Power in addition to picking up music from Microdisney, The Fiery Furnaces, The Libertines, and The Strokes.

I finally made the connection the other day as I journeyed to Rough Trade East (the original in Kensington is closed). It was musical nirvana. I thought of old friends and my youth. It was an affirmation of myself as a music fan and as an indie music fan. And stepping inside the stores was like visiting an old friend.



1 comment:

  1. Boss Rick nakaka-inggit naman ang byahe at bakasyon grande mo. But you know what? I think that's good because if you are here back home, I bet you will be very stressed especially with what went on with Gilas in the Asian Games. From the Chot-Douthit brouhaha, that attempt to shoot on own goal against Kazakhstan, and the tirades Mr. Chino Trinidad has been throwing through his Facebook wall. Looking forward if ever you will have an article about this once you get back. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete