BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Am working on the new PBA Lifestyle magazine titled… CrossCourt

This came from left field. An unexpected but most welcome opportunity.

I have been asked by the PBA to be the editor-in-chief of their new and official lifestyle magazine titled, "CrossCourt". The maiden issue will be out early December.

Honestly, it's difficult but also challenging yet also exciting.

It wasn't too long ago I was buying Sports Flash, Atlas Sports Weekly, and Champ every week at the market. To cover the games and to even write for the website is a dream come true and a honor. To sit alongside many of the people I read as a kid always always brings a smile to my face. In fact, some of them have become cherished friends!

And now I get to chip in for the league. I am so thankful to the folks at the PBA (Boss Chito, Mam Rhose, Boss Rickie, and WOM) as well as to the Man Up Above who opened a door when one was painfully closed to me several months ago.

I am bringing in some new but talented people for this ride. I was never given much of a break and more often than not, am still not. That will not stop me from giving others who are deserving a break too, hence, my talented team who I will introduce at a later time.

The one thing I learned from my grandparents and parents is to always put my work boots on and earn my pay every single day. In fact, I have a sign on my work station that says, "Today, I will do the best work of my life."

Am looking forward to the challenge. The last week or so, I have been wracking my brain with some folks on putting out a quality magazine. And wait til you see the content for the first issue! I can't wait to get it going.

How do I fit this in my busy sked (Mindshare-Gatorade where I have the bestest teammates in the world, writing for the NBA, ABS-CBN, Philstar.com and Business Mirror and occasionally Men's Health/FHM, Shot, Futbol Balita and running the media for Filoil and something…. oops I cannot say just yet)? As I always say, it's about time management and compartmentalization.

I do hope you guys like the product when we come out (bi-monthly) beginning this December.

I would also like to thank some of my dearest friends Kenneth Ti, Mike Yu and Raddy Mabasa for our time in Rebound that gave me the opportunity to learn the ropes. That was one hell of a ride we had.

Still pinching myself. Am thankful and always grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment