BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Boycie Zamar reflects on leaving UE for a second time

As soon as colleague Snow Badua broke the news that Boycie Zamar was let go as head coach of the UE Red Warriors, I tried to get in touch with Zamar who didn't take any calls. He finally responded the other day and dodged the issue. Ever a gentleman up to the end, he refused to say anything about the parting of ways and instead paid tribute: "Am sorry for not answering your call, pare. Warrior in us. I will always be grateful to UE. Aside from being a player and a coach, I also got my degree in Business Administration with a Major in Management from UE. I will always be a Warrior in life. And remember you (referring to me as an inside joke) are also from UE. Kaso lang, University of Eagles.

For the second time in his life, Zamar will be leaving as head coach of the Red Warriors. He coached UE in the first years of the new millennium with players like James Yap, Ronald Tubid, and Paul Artadi. He left UE after the 2003 season.

Then as in now. We shared a laugh.

Here are some (not all) of the stories I wrote about Zamar's UE Red Warriors:





2 comments:

  1. the UAAP's best coach without a season title! Maybe even better than some of the coach's who actually won. :D Hats off to you Coach Boycie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pardon me for my ignorance, but I thought he won a title during the James Yap years

      Delete