BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Thirdy Ravena is 2014 Seaoil NBTC High School All-Star Game MVP


This appears on abs-cbnnews.com

Thirdy Ravena is 2014 Seaoil NBTC High School All-Star Game MVP
by rick olivares pic by brosi gonzales

He didn’t score the most points for his Seaoil Extreme Dark team that won the third installment of the Seaoil NBTC High School All-Star Game, 123-94, over Seaoil Mako Light. Five other teammates scored more.

But Thirdy Ravena was the most economical scoring 11 points on 5-5 shooting from the field and 1-1 from the free throw line. He also grabbed five rebounds – the most on his squad – to go with four assists, one steal, and one block giving him the best overall stat line.

During one instance, he threw up a perfect alley-oop pass that left the Ynares Arena oohing and ahhing. What made it significant was that it was sudden and artistic if one can call it at that because he dished off to someone who has never been a teammate and it required great basketball sense and the briefest of eye contacts to make it happen.

After finding another teammate for a layup, Ravena urged his teammates to get back on defense as he single-handedly applied full-court pressure on the opposing point guard. And this was an All-Star Game where a total of 217 points were put on the board making it the highest scoring game in the three-year history of the match.

“I wanted to use this (All-Star Game) as a gauge of how I can perform with the best basketball players all over the country,” said Ravena after the game. “I didn’t go out and try to be the MVP. I just wanted to have fun and showcase my skills.”

When he was announced as the winner of the MVP Award, Ravena, who is also the UAAP Season 76 Juniors Most Valuable Player, looked surprised. “I didn’t expect it but I am thankful that I was recognized among my peers.”

The younger brother of Kiefer Ravena also expressed excitement about playing alongside San Beda’s Arvin Tolentino, Hope Christian High School’s Clint Doliguez and John Apacible, and all the other rookies. “We used to play each other and now we’ll be teammates. We hope to do our best and bring a championship back to Ateneo.”



No comments:

Post a Comment