BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

At the Ateneo bonfire last night


During the Thanksgiving Mass that closed out the Ateneo Men's Basketball Team's campaign, Fr. Jett Villarin S.J. announced that there would be a bonfire held in the second semester. My first thoughts were -- what? Why? Parang in denial na we didn't make it back to the Final Four.

But the good priest is a wiser man than I am.

I forgot one of the basic tenets -- win or lose…

And that only hit me like a ton of bricks when it was announced once more the other week. This time, I went, "Yeah, let's do this."

The last time I experienced a second semester bonfire was when the Ateneo Men's Football Team won their third straight UAAP championship in 2006. I did the video that was shown during the bonfire that was held in the Erenchun Field (now called Lorenzo Field). Several hundred people attended that bonfire. I remember another one too when the Women's Basketball Team won the championship but that was even more sparsely attended (I was one of those who went to the college covered courts for the celebration).

Last night… there were lots of people. It sure helped that the closing dinner for the Ateneo Basketball League was held in the other side of Blue Eagle Gym so it added to the ambiance and the craziness.

One of the best things for me was seeing Kiefer Ravena (on rhythm guitar) and Chris Newsome (on drums) perform with a few others the Sponge Cola classic, "Puso". I thought to myself, "Geez, these guys are talented and not just on the basketball court."

Trivia about that song, as I recall or know it (I could be wrong here), "Puso" was really intended for an Ateneo video that was commissioned by adidas that was then the sponsor of both Ateneo and Sponge Cola. Only ABS-CBN liked it and they co-opted it for the UAAP. So there. It was an apt song given the incredible win of the Lady Eagles. 

It was good to see the different champion teams recognized -- the Men's and Women's badminton teams, the judo team, the baseball team, Team B (that won the Fr. Martin II Cup), and of course, the volleyball teams. 

I also caught up with classmates, batchmates, and friends. Even made acquaintances with others. 

At the end, all I can say is, "Thanks, teams. And you too, Fr. Jett!"

With KC Montero and Chef Ed Bugia.

Some of the merch being sold at the bonfire.


No comments:

Post a Comment