BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Why I am a hockey fan and Jim Ross calls TJ Oshie's goal versus Russia


I love hockey. Always have. Have been a fan of the game since 1977 because of the great Paul Newman's 'Slapshot'. Yeah, I know it was a film but it is at once a classic. But it sure got me interested in the sport. Even played some recreational ice hockey while in the US and I loved it every time I got to step on the ice. I love the skill it takes to maneuver even if I wasn't a gifted skater. I got targeted a lot since I wore glasses (but I had protection as I wore a face mask) so that meant I got into fights quite a bit. Not that I am going to back down. But it was fun except when I got home and parts of my body were discolored from the hits I took. Pads or no pads, it hurt.

Also have a collection of ice hockey jerseys (New Jersey Devils, Washington Capital's Alex Ovechkin, New York Islanders' John Tavares, the Chicago Blackhawks, the Detroit Red Wings, and the old Minnesota North Stars jersey before they moved to Dallas). In case you don't know, I root for the New York Islanders and have seen quite a few of their games at the old Nassau Veterans Coliseum at Long Island. Yes, I know they haven't been a very good team in a while but that is why you are a fan through the good times and the bad times. I am not going to bail out on my team that I have supported since 1978.

I don't have too many ice hockey DVDs. In fact, I only have one -- the NHL Winter Classic 24/7 documentary between the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Washington Capitals that was captivating. One of the best ever. 

Caught the Russia-USA match at Sochi and that had me riveted to my seat. Especially the third quarter that was furious. The shootout will enter hockey lore considering the rivalry and what is at stake here.

I saw a fan-made video using the voice of the great Jim Ross of the WWE as he mashed it with TJ Oshie's match winning penalty against Russia Sergei Babrovsky. Gives me goosebumps every time I see it. Now I wish I had the DVD of this game. Hmm. Wonder how I can get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment