BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

One FC news: Aoki-Colossa fight not yet a done deal

This appears on philstar.com


Aoki-Colossa fight not yet a done deal

by rick olivares

Following the events of One Fighting Championship: Moment of Truth where South African Vuyisile Colossa defeated Caros Fodor via unanimous decision, last December, 6, 2013, two announcements were made in the cage.

One, Vuyisile dedicated the win to former South African President Nelson Mandela who passed away barely a day before. And two, ‘The Cheetah” as Vuyisile was nicknamed, called out Shinya Aoki for a match. “Shinya Aoki, the Cheetah (Colossa) is calling you out. Give the people the fight that they want to see. Let’s make it legendary. Let’s be legendary!”

Aoki, nicknamed the Grandmaster of Flying Submissions, has overall record of 35-6-1 and is on a five-match win streak. On New Year’s Eve last December 31, he forced fellow Japanese Toshikatsu Harada to submit via triangle armbar with at the 2:11 mark of the first round.

Although the fight isn’t a done deal, Aoki doesn’t mind taking on Colossa. “I am the One FC Lightweight World Champion so it is expected that all the best Lightweights in the world will want a shot at my championship,” said the Japanese fighter in an exclusive interview with philstar.com. “I have never made it a habit to pick my opponents and I just want to prove I am the best. If One FC feels that Colossa is the best option, then I will happily take him on.”

But Aoki isn’t taking the South African lightly. “I think he did well,” the Japanese noted of Vuyisile’s One FC: Moment of Truth victory. “Fodor is a tough opponent and he beat him convincingly.” 


“I am just spending time with my family now waiting for my next bout from One FC. I want to defend my Lightweight championship as well as target the One FC Featherweight championship in 2014.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment