BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, January 7, 2013

My All-time NYC NBA Team


Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Power Memorial) at the slot is a no brainer. He's got the presence to draw the double team only the opposition will have to think twice because Bernard King (Fort Hamilton) can post you up or take the kick out. The Kangaroo Kid (Erasmus Hall) will help Kareem on the board and guard the opposing front court scorer. Starbury (Abraham Lincoln) runs the point with Chris Mullin (Xaverian) sniping from the outside. Now all these guys can shoot from the outside and can finish inside. That makes it doubly difficult to guard them. Bonus points: Bernard King and Stephon Marbury played for the Knicks. Mullin remained the hometown hero by playing for St. John's in college! 


For my bench, I'll get Mark Jackson (Bishop Loughlin) and Bob Cousy (Andrew Jackson) to spell Star. I'll pick Albert King (Fort Hamilton)  at the three with Rolando Blackman (William E. Grady) swinging from the two to three. Connie Hawkins (Boys and Girls) and Anthony Mason (Springfield Gardens) will play the five and four respectively. My last roster slot will go to Roger Brown (Wingate) who will spell Bernard King.


Then I'll have Lou Carnesecca (St. John's) coach this team!



My second unit!
-----------------

The very first NBA jersey I ever owned was Chris Mullin's #17 jersey from his Golden State Warriors days. I got that during the first year Run-TMC was put together. My very first US college jersey was also Mullin's St. John's jersey!

No comments:

Post a Comment