BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Kale Alvarez steps down as Kaya head coach


6 December 2012

Kaya players, my friends,

Last April, I was given an impossibly huge responsibility that took me by surprise. I was then the assistant coach of Kaya FC, a team I have played for and have loved all these years. When head coach Juan Cutillas, my mentor, resigned, I was appointed by management to become interim head coach.

It is always the process that has been as important to me as much as the result, and I asked my 29-year-old self, how am I going to do this enormous task in the middle of the ongoing league? I am inexperienced in coaching and I don’t even carry the basic C-license, but with faith in myself, and support from my peers and family, I welcomed the challenge with open arms. With Aly Boromeo helping me out, and given a team of superior players, the task became easier. In no time we finished the league with a very decent result.

And we went through the cup fighting until the end. I’ve never been prouder in my life of my team, who fought whole-heartedly, and finally fell to a silver goal in the quarters against our rival.

Now the time has come for me to step down.

It has been a great and exhilarating ride, and I am humbled by the opportunity to have lead a group of wonderful players. Know that I have learned and taken from you guys, as much as I hope I was able to give you during my short term. I wish you all the best and I will continue supporting the team.

Cheers!

Coach Kale

-----------

Kale Alvarez and I have been friends for a while. We used to be partners when we'd do the UAAP Football telecasts on Studio 23. Even after those gigs, we would often consult each other on coaching and football matters. I was really happy when he joined the staff of the Ateneo Blue Eagles during the three-peat. He runs the Focus Athletics of which Gatorade, where I also work, is a partner. Good luck to my buddy! Still there rooting for ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment