BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Behind the scenes in the Alaska Aces' win over Talk 'n Text


In a conversation with Alaska Aces assistant coach Dickie Bachmann, I admitted that I hated Alaska. Well... used to. I was a Toyota fan and then Ginebra. The reason for that should be obvious by now. I shifted to Red Bull because of certain reasons that I am not willing to put down. But about Alaska, I began to have a grudging respect for them. That changed when Tony dela Cruz and Rich Alvarez moved from Shell to the Uytengsu franchise. I began to write long stories about the Aces two years ago following their 13th championship. That sort of ended when the losing began and my work load piled up. It was my intention to return at the start of this Philippine Cup but I only was able to get back in time for their seventh game of the conference that was against Talk 'N Text. Here's the account of that titled: The Acid Test. Hope you like it. And oh, I took these pics using my Samsung Galaxy Tab II.


Two pictures above: Alex Compton leads the briefing for the guards and small forwards along with Topex Robinson. here they discuss guarding Jimmy Alapag and Larry Fonacier. In the pic directly above: Luigi Trillo makes one last discussion on everything they need to do for the night. 


Post-win! The celebration inside the locker room is tempered. After all, this was but one win albeit huge. In this picture, Calvin Abueva talks about that open three-point shot of his. 


JV Casio enters the joyous dugout while the coaches exchange high fives with him. In picture are (L-R) Alex Compton, Dickie Bachmann, Louie Alas, and Joaqui Trillo. In a conversation I had with Ruel Vidal and Eddie Alinea, we spoke about PBA players who liked to stop on a fastbreak to shoot either a medium range jump shot of a trey -- there's Crispa's Atoy Co, Great Taste's Allan Caidic, Talk 'N Text's Jimmy Alapag, and now, Alaska's JV Casio. Whatta guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment