BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Singapore Diary: Alex Duric, Sasa Dreven, Simon Greatwich, and the search for cold water


Catching up with Alex Duric before the match outside Clementi Stadium. The man has a mania for keeping fit! He just lost some pounds to stay in football shape. After the match, he signaled to me and said, "That goal (Tampines Rovers' first) was for you." I laughed. But you know I am with Loyola? Replied The Legend: "I know. But you're such a big football fan and of Singapore football." I smiled. I'll take it. Wish we didn't lose though. Good to see you, Alex!


With Tampines Rovers' goalkeeper Sasa Dreven. I asked him if he liked Singapore. "Yes. It's nice here. Hot and humid though. But I like living in an international city."


With Simon Greatwich who is back in Loyola. Always a good locker room presence like his older brother, Chris. Hoping for his success with the Sparks. Here's my account of the first-leg match between Loyola and Tampines.


Visiting an old haunt in the Arab Quarter. Had some iced coffee because it was so darn hot. When I also asked for water the waiter directed me to the next restaurant. Two Caucasian ladies sat down in the table next to us and after some discussion he also pointed out to the next restaurant. Turns out his English wasn't so good that one of the other veteran waiters kidded him about it. When I asked the veteran waiter for water, he asked in return, "You mean iced water?" You kidding me right? "Yes, Iced water."



Hosting an impromptu press conference for Loyola with members of Singaporean media and Pinoy bloggers based in the Lion State. We held in the morning at the hotel where we are staying.


With Bob Guerrero, Anthony Suntay, and Joey Villar at the weigh in for the One Fighting Championship: Rise of Kings at the Cathay Plaza atrium. 

No comments:

Post a Comment