BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Backstage at the One Fighting Championship: Pride of the Nation


I was watching Andrei Arlovski before he went out to face Tim Sylvia for the fourth time. Right before I snapped this photo, the Pit Bull let out a huge "whew" that surprised me. All throughout the days leading up to this fight, Arlovski was very vocal about inflicting a beating on his opponent who before this held a 2-1 record against him. I guess the time for talk was over and it was game time. When Arlovski entered the cage I was looking at his eyes especially when Sylvia pushed him back to the fence and it was the same look I saw backstage and there was the possibility that he was going to get his head knocked off. Well, he nearly kicked off Sylvia's head and that led to a yellow card and a no contest in this fourth meeting between the two rivals.


In contrast, Eduard Folayang was impassive. I stood there for the entire time prior to his entrance and he just had his head bowed down. He didn't want anyone to see his facial expression. There was some scrambling because someone from his entourage had the Philippine flag upside down (the red side was on top). Well, Folayang brought war upon Felipe Enomoto and he rained down dozens of blows on the Swiss-Japanese fighter before losing steam in the third round. It was still a win.


With "Stonecutter" Cha (above) and pretty ring girl Kim Ha-Yul (below). Stonecutter I was surprised was very respectful in our backstage conversation. He bowed before and after the interview (he had an interpreter) wherein he gave some terrific answers. More on that in the next few days. As for Kim... man, what a pretty lady.


Here's my piece on the One Fighting Championship: Pride of a Nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment