BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day 4 in Singapore: the newsmakers


The day began early for some us. While a few of the Loyola Meralco Sparks did some early morning jogging, James and Phil Younghusband were interviewed by Football Asia. 


As soon as I had set up the interviews with the brothers, I was off to meet Singapore striker Aleksandar Duric at the Coffee Bean at the Forum Shopping Mall at Orchard Road. I always wanted to interview Duric and I finally got the chance to meet up with him. We talked about a great many things that will be the subject of a column of mine. He invited me to watch Tampines Rovers play Albirex of Japan in the final match of their two-legged series. The match was at Clementi Stadium, a good 25-minute drive from where I was staying.


No regrets going to Clementi Stadium. Whether it is the UAAP, NCAA, PBA, Smart Gilas or the Azkals, I don't just watch the matches of school teams, our national teams but also of other squads. You learn so much from watching, listening and studying others. While others are looking to have a good time, I have always stuck to my working when on assignment. This has allowed me to meet more people and to write more insightful stories. It expands my horizons and circle of friends. By watching this match, I can prep a scouting report on Tampines for Loyola. Even if I wasn't planning on getting a scouting report, I would have gone anyway. Sports junkie.

No comments:

Post a Comment