BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Random thoughts this Wednesday...


Thoughts about today….

I had the opportunity to conduct a one-on-one interview with Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler but I botched it. Now I’ve been lumped with a group interview that is somewhat unappetizing. I mean, it Robbie Fowler, right? He’s only the reason why I became such a massive Liverpool fan. The thing is I am flying in to Singapore using my own money and not my media group so that is what makes it doubly difficult. In a group interview, I get to ask at most two questions so that’s like 5K per question. Urgh.

I hope you got to listen to my podcast interview with Pachanga’s Freddy Gonzalez. That was a long time coming. Two months late. I remember watching Freddy before with Kaya back when no one watched club football save for the players, family, and relations. In 2007, I saw him play for Kaya one last time as Kaya played Loyola Agila. He blasted a goal right before the end of the first half. Amazing one touch volley where the keeper never had a chance.

Covering Pachanga and getting to know Freddy and his team better has been a writer’s dream.

Some people asked if I can cover their team like how I did with Loyola during the first round of the 2012 Singapore Cup. The answer is always a yes. I have been doing that for several years now beginning with the Ateneo Blue Eagles then with the NU Bulldogs and Letran Knights. I covered Smart Gilas and the Alaska Aces in similar fashion. Hopefully, I’ll get to do other sports and other teams.

This past week, Diliman fell (although not surprisingly) to Cebu Queen City. That loss put Pachanga five points clear in the race for promotion. With five matches left does that mean the battle is over? Not by a long chance.

I met up with UFL Chairman Santi Araneta today and we had a nice long talk about various football stuff. Some will be revealed in their own time. One thing I brought up in the discussion was the poor officiating. I find it lamentable when a player threatens a referee with his life and as a result, the officiating swings over to his team’s favor. That is highly deplorable. I find it disappointing when a referee informs a team that if they do not want to get hurt playing football they should take up another sport. What the hell?!?

The level of football has certainly gone up in the Philippines but the back support and officiating has not. Something has to be really be done about this.

I am late with my Ateneo Football League story from the weekend. If not by tonight then certainly by tomorrow morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment