BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A post-Loyola Meralco Sparks-Geylang United interview with the Eagles' Michael King


Got to interview Geylang United’s Michael King (who once suited up for English side Burnley) who had this to share about the match with Loyola.

Rick Olivares: Michael, for what it’s worth, you played well and that was a marvelous goal. I hope that the strong performance in the 2012 Singapore Cup will see Geylang do better in the S. League.
Michael King: Thanks! We sure need the confidence.

Rick: How do you analyze Loyola's game? What do you think of their play?
Michael: They played quite direct with the ball, they had a couple of tall players who caused our defence trouble all night, so they played on this and it was effective. Out of possession they worked very hard and got behind the ball, especially in the first half, which is why so many players were suffering with cramp, that and the heat of the country of course.

Rick: Who do you think played well for them?
Michael: I'm sorry but I'm terrible with names. Haha. The tall striker was a threat against us all night, and the tall centre midfielder was comfortable on the ball, and found the striker well.

Rick: Were there any adjustments for Geylang at the half? After 90 minutes?
Michael: I was being marked by two men every time I got the ball in the first half which is why I moved to striker to try an get more involved in the game. We didn't change too much though, as we were creating chances. We just didn't get the luck we needed on the night.

Rick: Geylang displayed great sportsmanship. What do you think of your club after the match? I thought you guys gave a strong performance especially in extra time.
Michael: I agree. I thought we played well, and with a few differences in the match it could have been a different outcome. But the only thing that matters in a cup competition is the result, so we can take nothing away from Loyola. And I wish them all the best in the rest of the competition.

---------------

Here's my interview with Michael King prior to the match: 

No comments:

Post a Comment