BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, May 5, 2012

A brief chat with Freddie Roach


A brief chat with Freddie Roach
Quinito Henson tapped me on the shoulder inside the press room and he whispered in my ear, “Freddie Roach is coming to watch the game.” I asked the Dean’s help in securing an interview with him – even if only briefly because I know he went to the Big Dome to watch a fight and not do anything else. And Quinito said, he’d have someone bring him over at the half. This was our quick quick chat after he posed for a gazillion photos. Hopefully, we can have a longer interview after this.

Rick: Hey, coach. How’s it going?
Freddie: It’s all good. Could be better but it’s all good.

Rick: Thanks for coming over to catch the game (Game 6 between B-Meg and Talk ‘N Text for the Commissioner’s Cup title).
Freddie: I love basketball and I wanted to see this game. People said both teams are evenly matched. But we got stuck in traffic. Horrible horrible traffic. And I thought LA was bad. But we listened to the game on the radio. Someone was translating for me. It sounded vey exciting and you could here the crowd. I can’t wait go see it for myself.

Rick: It’s been 11 years training with Manny does it get any easier to do that?
Freddie: There are days when it’s easy and there are days when it’s hard. There are a lot of demands that Manny faces because of who he is. A lot of guys want to knock his head off and it means we really have to prepare, train for a lot of things such as complacency. It’s tough but that’s the job. I love it. And Manny makes me look good.

Rick: How is Marvin Somodio doing (working with Manny Pacquiao with Alex Ariza unavailable for the Philippine training camp)?
Freddie: He’s (Marvin) good. He has a rapport with Manny. We work well together and Marvin knows what it is all about since he used to box as well. Trust is crucial in a relationship between boxer and trainer. I am lucky that we’ve kept this partnership going on for a long time. Marvin adds to the mix.

Rick: I won’t trouble you any longer because the third quarter just started.
Freddie: Oh, it’s no problem. Maybe we can talk again later. Thanks.
Rick: Thanks too. And thanks for training Manny.
Freddie: Aww. That’s fun and like I say, he makes me look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment