BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, February 20, 2012

A lesson in hydration for The Buller Runner Dream Marathon participants







The main importance of the sweat test is learning the sweat rates of athletes as they engage in any sports activity. Athletes tend to take personal hydration lightly and thus, are not adequately hydrated. The sweat test determines how much sodium, potassium and magnesium are lost when one sweats. And that leads to into problems like a decline in performance and focus, muscle cramping, fainting, fatigue and even sometimes some more serious issues like hyponatremia, which can have really serious complications such as osteoporosis and reduced reaction time. A hydration program is then prepared for athletes or in this case, the Dream Marathon participants.

Personally, I think it is the endurance and track athletes who pay more attention to proper hydration. But it seems that it has caught on with other sports such as basketball and football. Good friend TJ Manotoc was telling me after hearing Miami Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra advise basketball players to hydrate before the game and not just during the game, he took it to heart. And it helps.

Watching the runners at the Philsports track last Saturday morning. You could clearly see who isn’t in shape and lacking in hydration and those who are. Since I learned of this, when I have a chance to play hoops, tennis or even simply walk and jog, I hydrate properly.

I took these videos (and more) at the Philsports track last Saturday, February 18, at 630am.

No comments:

Post a Comment