BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, February 6, 2012

The front pages of New York City newspapers after the NY Giants' Super Bowl win


Every time a favorite sports team of mine wins a championship, I would -- if possible at all -- buy all the newspapers the following day because I knew that the front and inside pages would be filled with stories and pictures. The game recaps are all the same but it's the angles I look for. As a child, I was weaned on Sports Illustrated and Life magazine. Both had a huge impact on the way I view things and in the way I write. I still have the newspapers from the Yankees' dynasty from the late 1990s. I used to have a complete collection of Sports Illustrated issues that had the Chicago Bulls on the cover. Alas, I lost half of them to a typhoon.


The New York Giants. Boy, did they sneak in under the radar. All season long the talk was about the Green Bay Packers winning it all. Once Week One got underway, the chatter about QBs was on Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Joe Flacco, Tony Romo, Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez, Peyton Manning, and to some extent, Eli Manning. Well, Eli did it. Again. And to the New England Patriots no less. He sure deserves to be on the covers of all the papers.


In recent years, Boston was making noises about being the best sports town as their Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins have won major titles. The Bruins are in fact the current NHL champions. For New York, it has only been the Yankees and the Giants that have been winning. The Knicks are getting better but are still a long ways to go before they become real contenders. The Rangers are there while my Islanders have once more sunk. The Jets... are maddening. Oh, there are the Mets?


It's good to be the king. Take that Boston!

1 comment: