BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Interview with Chris Greatwich


Interview with Chris Greatwich

Rick: What has kept you busy in the past year? Were you able to play competitive football/soccer in the US? How did you team do over there?

Chris: I have been so busy coaching here in the US- all of my teams have had hugely successful seasons- especially in the summer when my U-20 team won its conference and my U-16 won a few big tournaments. This unfortunately kept me out of World Cup Qualifiers but I hope to be back in the frame again.


Rick: Have you followed all the matches of the national side in your absence? What do you think of the changes and their performance?

Chris: It was strange not being part of the team as I have hardly missed a tournament in six years. Obviously, Simon was playing so that kept the family interest going and seeing some of the new guys come in looked encouraging. I think we have a nucleus of a strong squad now so the future looks bright. We obviously won a few games and lost a few but let's see how things transpire. I'm not too quick to judge especially with a team trying to evolve with new ideas and a new coach.

Rick: Did you ever think that the local football scene would get this big?

Chris: Honestly - no. We'd go to Thailand, Singapore and see their players heralded by their fans. Only really in Bacolod and IloIlo were we celebrated in the Philippines. Now it has all changed. I hope that it doesn't detract from the football field and it doesn't become a novelty. Similarly, I hope players who come in realize how far it is a come in short a short period of time and continue to push the game forward and not be overly concerned with the celebrity element of playing for the Azkals which I sometimes see and I think it is alarming. We don't want this to become a circus.

Rick:  Are you playing in the Galaxy match? If so, how do you feel about putting on the national jersey now and against LA no less?

Chris: I hope to feature in the game but that is down to the coach’s selection. All I can do is train hard and show him what I can do.

Rick: You being a Tottenham fan, what do you think of David Beckham?

Chris: I was at the game when DB scored from the halfway line against Wimbledon. I was only about 13 at the time, and my whole family was just amazed that he did that. He has obviously gone on to be a huge footballing icon- it would be an honor to grace the same field as him should I get the chance- a real ambassador for football all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment