BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Roxas City Diary Friday October 28


I had no idea what was in store for me in this University Games. I thought that all the sporting competitions will be held in one venue but instead they were scattered all over the city with the volleyball games being held in Panay. I tried to cover as much as I could but I realized that it was insane because I couldn't do it alone. It didn't help that the organizers and media center weren't exactly helpful. So there I was at the rotonda in Panay trying to figure out if I should stay there for volleyball or go to Villareal Stadium for football, basketball, track and field, and tennis. Tough, yeah?


With Trina and Ralph Aligada and Benjo Afuang while covering the Ateneo Blue Eagles at the Capiz Gym. I missed the Blue Eagles' first match (against Filamer Christian University) and will also miss the finals game against West Negros University as I am flying home to Manila on Saturday morning (am doing the UFL broadcast for AKTV). But I will try to get updates as they happen so I can -- "try" is the operative word here -- to write about it.


With Ateneo assistant volleyball coach Parley Tupas, a Capiz native, and Central Philippines University volleybelle Jovelyn Gonzaga at the Panay Civic Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment