BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tuesday sideline rants


Former FIFA official Chung Mong-joon wrote in his memoirs that Sepp “Blatter is fluent in five languages, has a good way with words and is intelligent ... but I think he is not an international gentleman and he is like a little brat.”

Somehow, I don’t think that “brat” even if it is a word-letter word will bother Blatter.

That is totally uncool. Serena Williams doesn’t bring her A-game and is in the process of getting her but kicked by Samantha Stosur when she is penalized for yelling “C’mon!” before her smash even reached the Australian. It’s an unsportsmanlike violation of the hindrance rule. Williams then proceed to do a John McEnroe on chair umpire Eva Asderaki.

“Aren’t you the one who screwed me over the last time here? Yeah, you are. Seriously, you have it out for me. And I promise you that is not cool. That is totally not cool.”

The $2,000 fine? Totally not enough. She hasn’t learned her lesson in two years running.

On the subject of fines, Charlotte Bobcats owner Michael Jordan is fined $100K for his lockout comments for violating the league’s ban on discussing individual players and collective bargaining issues during the lockout. Guess he never read Harry Potter about He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

------------

I'd like to thank everyone for reading my stuff here at Bleachers' Brew. Here are the stats (courtesy of Google Analytics from January 1-August 31, 2011.
360,978 visits with 459,930 page views from 125,394 unique visitors from 166 countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment