BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Questions and answers via email, Shakey's V League Open Conference semis sked & DLSZ Golf announcement




Some questions asked via email. Will do my best to reply as soon as I can. Thanks!

Q: You intersperse a lot of what you write with music. I take it that you are a huge music fan. What are your favorites?

A: When I finished school, there were three things I wanted to be: a teacher, a rock star, or a US Marine. Had a band back in school but I guess I didn’t have what it took to be one. But music has stayed a huge part of my life and to this day, every chance I get, I watch bands and buy CDs.

Who are my faves? Not in any particular order – Ivy, the Boxer Rebellion, British Sea Power, Sigur Ros, Tool, Versus, Broken Social Scene, the Gaslight Anthem, U2, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Counting Crows, Dave Matthews Band, Death Cab for Cutie, Sugar Hiccup, Rancid, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Fuseboxx, Eyes Set to Kill, Hooverphonic, Interpol, Up Dharma Down, and Killswitch Engage.

Q: If there are basketball teams outside the Ateneo Blue Eagles that you can really write about, what would that be?

A: This year’s UE Red Warriors. The Perpetual Help Altas. The Letran Knights. You might notice that the first two teams are at the bottom of the cellar but that doesn’t make them no less interesting. I wrote abut the Red Warriors during the time of Lawrence Chongson (a fascinating figure) and planned to cover them more closely this year but I was oft out. But I will try.

As for the Altas, I have written extensively about their problems and put everything in perspective in the next issue of Rebound (so check that out).

Q: You mentioned writing an article about Renren Ritualo. Are you done with that?

A: Not yet. I have a bunch of unfinished articles in one folder (including the controversial Part 5 of Smart Gilas Year One that should remain unpublished until the current version has gone off to the pros. But the Ritualo piece, definitely this October. There are others too that I hope to finish soon.

Q: What is the ship on the masthead of your blog?

A: That is the USS Belleau Wood, an American warship that is used as a landing craft for Marines, material and helicopter gunships. That shipped was based in Guam and the Philippines and I had a chance to go up her deck about two years before the US base pullout in the Philippines. The Belleau Wood was the last American ship to sail out of the Philippines after the American base pullout in 1992.

The picture with the quote of the late Todd Beamer “Let’s roll!” (he led the attack on the hijackers of United Flight 93) features sailors and marines on deck during the first year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

The photo was taken by Navy photographer Steven L. Cooke.

The Belleau Wood was decommissioned in October 2005 and used in a live fire exercise July 13, 2006 where she was sunk.

 _________________


And here's an announcement from the De La Salle Zobel Golf Team


Name of tournament: 1st DLSZAA BR. FELIX MASSON FSC GOLF CUP
Date: September 12, 2011
Venue: Alabang Country Club (ACCI)
Fees: 3,000 for non ACCI Members, 1,500 for ACCI members (includes green/tournament fee, giveaways, dinner, raffle ticket)
Registration: 7:00AM
Tee Off: 9:00AM
Purpose of tournament: to raise funds for the benefit of DLSZ BRAFE Night School (BRAFENS) and DLSZ Golf Team - BRAFENS is DLSZ's night school, it provides scholarships and opens opportunities for out of schools youths to pursue secondary education and eventually a vocational or a degree program.
Major Sponsors: Rudy Project, Bohol Beach Club, Generika Drugstore, De La Salle Alumni Association (DLSAA), Asia Brewery Inc. and Rod & Raffy Albano
For inquiries: DLSZAA 771-3579 loc 810 (Bianca), DLSZ-SDO loc 702 (Wilma), Rhoneil Cousart 0917-8917269, Ace Gacutan 0920-9288077, Edwin Evangelista 0917-8507272

No comments:

Post a Comment