BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Last night's Yankees-Red Sox game was a Boston marathon


Last night’s New York-Boston game took a brutal (sorry for stealing that description from Mark Teixeira) four hours and 21 minutes to settle before the Yankees won the rubber match 4-2.  The match ended right before midnight. And I know all too well the feeling of a match that takes forever to play. I've attended quite a few of these marathons and after a bit I would look at my watch and would wonder if I could catch a PATH train or 99S bus back to Jersey City without waiting for an hour or two. But that's because both the Yankees and the Red Sox are by large patient teams that don't readily swing for the fences. Now mercifully, Red Sox slugger Adrian Gonzales was called for a third strike on a check swing in the bottom of the ninth inning that ended the match. Something he disputes. “That pitch was low,” said Gonzales. “I should still be hitting.”


And all I can say is, "Go, Mo!" Click on the image if it doesn't move.
Thanks to Mike Fast for the animated gif. 

No comments:

Post a Comment