BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I guess there's something really worth a hundred bucks these days


"Show me a coach," said Brad Gilbert, "who doesn't listen -- really listen -- and I'll show you a probable loser. Show me a coach who domineers and demeans, who manages through fear, and I'll show you an accident waiting to happen. Show me a coach who doesn't think it's just as important to empower the lowliest scrub on your team as it is to cater to the star, and I'll show you a real short-timer." If you love the game of tennis then you gotta get this book by Brad Gilbert who guided Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick to superstardom. And guess what... I got this for Php75 bucks at Booksale.


I lost my book during Typhoon Ondoy and have struggled to replace it with copies of the original cover (I prefer this to the new cover that they used for the film). A riveting tale of grit, grace, luck, and an underdog's stubborn determination. And a darn well written story by Laura Hillenbrand. And I got it for Php25 also at Booksale.

No comments:

Post a Comment