BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Shannon Sharpe is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame (and what a moving speech)

I root for two American Football teams -- the New York Giants in the NFC and the Denver Broncos in the AFC. I guess when you mention the Broncos, the name of John Elway instantly comes to mind. And yes, I am a fan of Elway and took an interest in him as QB1 for Stanford (and now Tim Tebow is there). But my all-time fave Bronco is Shannon Sharpe. Even when he played briefly for the Baltimore Ravens, I rooted for him. And I was even more glad that he ended his career right where he started -- at Mile High Stadium (I'm sorry but I cannot bring myself to call it Invesco). So you can imagine how thrilled I was to know and see that Sharpe was inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. Sharpe incidentally is one of seven Broncos in the Hall. And I really took the time today to listen to his enshrinement speech. Definitely one of the most moving induction speeches in any hall of fame ceremony. Congrats, Shannon! Proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment