BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

What I'm watching (as a couch potato) this weekend

Aside from football and what it means to England, is there any other sport so connected to a nation's soul, culture, and history than baseball is to America? Much of the game has lent itself to our lexicon, colloquialisms, and even styles. Spalding. The Louisville Slugger. What great stories that provide faces and backstory to aspects of the game that I took for granted. 


I first saw this in 2004 when I purchased the DVD set at HMV in Fifth Avenue in New York. I have since re-acquired a new box set that includes Burns' new work The Tenth Inning. 


As they say, the word "fan" comes from "fancier" or "fanatic". I am one. And I love this game that I grew up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment