BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My 22nd FIBA Asia Champions Cup awards


My Mythical Five selection for the 22nd FIBA Asia Champions Cup

Center – Marcus Douthit (Philippines)
Power Forward – Chris Williams (Iran)
Small Forward – Sammad Nikkhah Bahrami (Iran)
Shooting Guard – Jean Abdelnour (Lebanon)
Point Guard – Jayvee Casio (Philippines)

Most Valuable Player – Fadi El Khatib (Lebanon)

Best Defensive Player – Marcus Douthit (Philippines)


(UPDATED JUNE 9, 2011) I didn't place Fadi in the Mythical Five because I thought that Sammad did better stats-wise. And as great as Fadi is, I thought that Lebanon had a far deeper team and the contributions of Ahmed Ismail, Jean Abdelnour, and Rodrigue Akl were immeasurable. Plus... I wanted to keep it strictly by position. And for me to accommodate that I just slotted Fadi in as MVP. Sammad in the meantime may not be the old one who would take off from just past the free throw line to jam it but he was plenty good. And his overall contributions to the team were far better. Maybe, Mahram's bench should have been used more. They sparingly used Ashgar Kardoust or even Oshin Sahakian and for me that was a mistake. They are very good players in their own right. Ultimately, they paid for it. 


Yeah, I know... As for Sam Daghles, leaving him out was tough but I thought that Chauncey Leslie was not only more clutch but he helped his team advance farther. And in their final match against Duhok, he sat out most of the second half and that left his teammates to contribute far more. Anyways plenty of tough choices here. So I will put these guys in the Second Five: Center: Cheikh Samb (Iran), Power forward: Ahmed Ismail (Lebanon), Small forward: Quttaiba Al Doori (Iraq), Shooting guard: Targuy Ngombo (Qatar) and Point guard: Chauncey Leslie (Qatar).

2 comments:

  1. bakit po wla sa 1st and 2nd five nio yung MVP choice nio n si el khatib.

    baka si Sammad Nikkhah Bahrami should be relegated to 2nd five tapos mawawala si Al Doori.

    Sayang si Daghles ng Jordan,statistics-wise,impressive sya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept my awards strictly by position with no overlaps. Sammad and Fadi both played SF and Sammad played better overall. Making Fadi MVP was my way or trying to keep everyone there.

    Daghles had good stats but he wasn't able to bring his team to the semis. Leslie did. And in their final match against Iraq, he sat down in the second half when he team came back. Leslie was clutch everywhere.

    I'm a fan of Sam Daghles and it was tough leaving him out. As for Al Doori? C'mon. He was one of the tournament's best.

    ReplyDelete