BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Appreciating Rizal Memorial Baseball Stadium


THAT'S 380 FEET STRAIGHTAWAY TO DEAD CENTER. I love going to Rizal Memorial Baseball Stadium. It's been two years since I covered a UAAP baseball match but it's still is a thrill to go there once in a while. Like today. Maybe it's because there wasn't a game going on as I attended the Philippine Baseball Summit. Although I sat there half listening to a discussion that for the most part never went anywhere. Mostly I was looking at the architecture and thinking of it's storied past. As a baseball fan who was weaned on a bygone age, I appreciate Rizal Memorial Baseball Stadium for its retro feel. I have no idea if it has received a massive facelift since it was constructed in 1934 but it's gorgeous on a hot June day with the place surprisingly quiet. Just staring at the wall with all those names on them with the home runs exploits is fanboy heaven.


I look up at the steelworks and marvel at it. The Sto. NiƱo Baseball Field (in Marikina) has a certain charm to it but the RMBS has history written all over it. I guess you all know that Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig hit some dingers here during a barnstorming tour back in the day. But the wall has the names of Filipino greats as well. 

I get this retro feel when I am here. I have no idea what the new Yankee Stadium is like but the old one was dripping with history. Another ballpark that I really like -- Camden Yards in Baltimore. I heard so much about it that I just had to watch a game there. Naturally, the hometown Orioles played the visiting Yankees (who won the game). But what makes it retro are the box-type seating areas that you'll find in a park like Fenway. Camden Yards has modern amenities but they are built into a retro-ballpark setting.


Anyways, I also think of A League of Their Own which is one of my all-time favorite films. Tom Hanks and Geena Davis were awesome in that film.


The attendees of the Philippine Baseball Summit. There were others seated to the left of me when I took this picture. Had high hopes for this one. Instead it turned out to be a talkfest that I don't think got us where we wanted to go. But we still have to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment