BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, April 4, 2011

My weekend scoreboard


My weekend scoreboard. The teams that I root for are on the left side.

Liverpool FC lost to West Bromwich Albion 2-1
Juventus FC beat AS Roma 2-0
Olympique Lyonnaise drew with Nice 2-2
Ajax Amsterdam beat SC Heracles Almelo 3-0
FC Schalke 04 beat St. Pauli 2-0
Celtic FC’s match vs Inverness Caledonian Thistle was postponed.
SL Benfica is about to play FC Porto

The New York Yankees took the first series of the year from the Detroit Tigers 2-1.
The New York Islanders lost to the Carolina Hurricanes 4-2.
The Chicago Bulls beat the Toronto Raptors 113-106.


Got some email asking why I root for my teams. Here it is. LFC I became a fan at the time of Robbie Fowler and have never looked back. And the time when Ian Rush and John Barnes were playing were a huge attraction as well. The Beatles of course had an influence in that. If I remember it correctly, John and Ringo rooted for Liverpool while Paul and George were Everton fans. Everton didn't have Robbie Fowler. It's that simple.


Juventus. One man. Zinedine Zidane. Alessandro del Piero. Then they also had Gigi Buffon and Fabio Cannavarro.


Originally, I rooted for Paris St. Germain (although kind of loosely) then Bordeaux because of Zidane. When Zidane went to Juventus, I still followed Bordeaux until Juninho joined Lyon. I've been rooting for Lyon ever since.


I became a fan of Ajax Amsterdam because of Patrick Kluivert. My first international football jersey that I ever bought is Ajax. Still have that with the classic ABN-AMRO on it. Just doesn't fit me well anymore.


German football to be honest is something I don't really follow with the exception of their national squad. But it was hard for me to like Bayern even if Der Kaiser came from there. I sort of resisted even when they had Lukas Podoloski and Miroslav Klose. Schalke 04 because they have Raul, Manuel Neuer, Klaas Jan Huntelaar, Angelos Charisteas, and Atsuto Uchida.


In Scottish football there's Celtic and Rangers. I chose the Catholic team -- Celtic.


Benfica -- Rui Costa!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment