BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Nice stuff, Blake. But before you -- there was Air Milko.

When that Kia Optima was wheeled onto the hardcourt of the Staples Center (right before Blake Griffin's monstrous slam), I told myself, "I've seen this before."

And yes, I have. I first heard of former Phoenix Sun Marko Milic's slam over a car when Europeans pooh poohed an NBA player jamming over some stooge for the slam dunk contest in the late 1990s (yep, Jordan was still playing and the Bulls were still champs). But Milic's feat, achieved in 1995 with the Ljublijana, Yugoslavia (before the civil war), went largely unnoticed. Except in Europe. There was some mention in the American press but not much. And Milic only played two years for the Suns before he went back to Europe (he didn't get much playing time on a loaded Phoenix team).

And as great as Griffin's stuff was (since he had an assist from his Los Angeles Clippers teammate Baron Davis), that jam over a car wasn't the first. Thanks to youtube, I was able to dig it up for your perusal. Take a gander at the man they once called, "Air Milko."

No comments:

Post a Comment