BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Game Day thoughts


Game Day thoughts

I found it a little surreal that people here are already talking about how many goals they will score against Mongolia. It wasn’t too long ago the shoe or boot was on the other foot. In Vietnam right before the matches, no one wanted to even talk or mention the Philippines. All they talked about was advancing and scoring a bunch of goals. I wrote before that there were no questions even asked about the Philippines and its players.

Then we drew Singapore and beat Vietnam. Then we advanced to the semifinals.

Football is an unpredictable game (as are all sports) and I will always proceed with caution and modesty.

Everyone knows that there is a lot riding on this match. Even back then in Indonesia, we knew that a drubbing can change many things. To lose by an aggregate score of 2-nil is much better than a 13-1 final score. I suggest we remain focused and keep our feet on the ground. 

More a bit later......

No comments:

Post a Comment