BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

We had some special guests at our family New Year's Eve party.


Our family on all sides went to Ateneo (including my mother's side). So when we have family reunions, talk is on politics (there are a number of professional writers), business, and sports. Among us first cousins, six of us played varsity sports. My brother was in the Blue Babble Battalion back when it wasn't considered a varsity team. Now among the next generation, we still have a few but in either in motorsports or baseball. Not one basketball and football player (darn it). Anyways when talk is about sports you know that it's about the Ateneo Blue Eagles (and the NBA and NFL). We had some special guests at the family reunion last night -- the Younghusbands! James, Phil and youngest sister Keri. My kids Matt and Anthony are also in the pic. Ants is wearing the Azkals jersey and you should see him play football (he plays the midfield and him being an Arsenal fan he's a playmaker who is inspired by Cesc Fabregas). And he is real good to boot. Matt for some reason I cannot fathom prefers to play goal keeper (no disrespect to GKs everywhere). My kids were thrilled to meet the brothers. Phil was saying that the only thing that was missing was a "#10" on Ants' jersey. Yep, he did watch the Suzuki Cup games. They also both love playing FIFA (as do I) on Playstation. Thanks to the Younghusbands! Happy New Year!

6 comments:

  1. James really has beautiful eyes

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hottest brothers in town............. Cute li'l sis too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the young boy wearing the Azkals jersey, oh Ants, hope to see you play with the Azkals in the future. Don't get pressured though, just love the beautiful world of football. Btw, you have a beautiful name, so, does it mean that you are also hardworking like the ants? :) Kudos to the Younghusbands!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year Rick. :D Keri is adorable!! And wow, an Azkals jersey! Wanted one for myself but they didn't have it in my size!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patty. They (Mizuno) should have new stocks in time for the next game. See you there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I'll be on the hunt for a jersey soon. The next one is in Bacolod right? I'd love to cheer my heart out but I have class on that day :( I wish they hold one in Manila. I'd gladly cut classes for that. HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete