BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Jakarta Diary Saturday December 18


With Ray Jonsson, Rob Gier, Chris Greatwich and Phil Younghusband at the lobby of the Sultan Hotel Jakarta. This was before we left for the final team practice before the second game with Indonesia. We practiced in a nearby pitch and not at the Bung Karno because it rained earlier.


They sent a OB van to cover the Azkals' team practice! Imagine that. After practice, I walked around the perimeter with Mark Zambrano to interview people and take videos and pics of them. I should upload that soon. It was the first time I had watched a team practice where people were cheering goals! Cheering practice goals can you believe that?


And of course, there was an interview with the head coach. I interviewed a female television reporter earlier in the day and I asked her impressions of the Azkals. She said that if she didn't root for Indonesia she'd cheer for the Philippines. After I helped her get an interview with Coach Simon after the limber session, she once more sought me out to ask for my help. She wanted me to tell the coach that she was in love with him! I said why don't you tell him yourself because you just might get lucky. She replied, "I am afraid I would faint if I tell him." I told coach and he had this huge smile on his face. "Amazing," he said with the broadest of smiles.



With Indonesia's excellent captain Bambang Pamungkas who is perhaps the most popular footballer in this country.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know where I saw the interview but I think it was Phil Younghusband who said, that they are the most good looking squad in this tournament! And I couldn't agree more, sa coach pa lang talbog na sila! hahaha

    Best of luck to the team! I think this time, half of the Indonesians would be cheering for the Azkals! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow sir..so lucky that you yau have bambang..
    correction sir..it's Pamungkas..

    ReplyDelete