BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Saturday Stuff



Play some hoops with Nico Elorde and Mike Silungan at the Palms Country Club the other week. My body was hurting after that. I have not played extensively in some time (read: am getting old). But... I had a lot of fun.


This is a hilarious but true story. Last Tuesday, I went to the Philippine Football Federation to interview President Mari Martinez and General Secretary Chito Manuel. I videotaped the interview with their permission but with the caveat that it cannot be posted. During the interview, Manuel brought up the podcast of the the Board of Governors meeting last September. He said, "There was this person who uploaded it to this site -- Bleachers' Brew. Mali talaga yun." Then I said, "Ah, that's my site."

I wanted to laugh out loud but of course, I had to be polite. 

It was an awkward silence (for a few seconds) that followed. Then Mr. Manuel said, "Yes, but in fairness you're a very good writer."

Hahaha. 

I will have my re-written column on the PFF and its troubles out on Monday. I junked my previous story that was more opinionated. Now it's tracing back the problem and letting the protagonists tell the story. It's titled THE GAME OF THEIR LIVES. It's in several parts. So the one that should come out in Business Mirror and Bleachers' Brew is part one which I called, "When two tribes go to war." Hmm. Relax, man. 


Aside from being in Cowboys Stadium, the best place to watch the Pacquiao-Margarito fight is at the Araneta Coliseum. There's nothing like watching a sporting event with a whole lot of people around you. Me? I'll be watching it at the Irwin Theater in Ateneo. At least it's close to home. I missed the HBO 24/7 features. I'll look for a way to watch them. I've collected the DVDs of those features. So far, I have three.

Will write about the Pacquiao-Margarito fight for Philippines Free Press. Am excited now.

1 comment: