BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, November 19, 2010

On the NCAA controversy: the removal of foreign players



Sometime between the first and second round of the NCAA Season 86 Seniors Basketball Tournament, I sat down with a few coaches and school officials and listened in to their conversation as they talked about how they will not be able to compete with San Beda. One said, SBC was turning the league into a professional one. Another said that they'd be taking this up to the board as soon as the season is over. I called up a couple of colleagues to ask if they heard of this and no one did. This began to gather steam after the NCAA season but it only manifested itself in the last few days. A few days after the championship, I asked SBC head coach Frankie Lim if he had heard of anything about this matter during a practice of Smart Gilas. He said he knew nothing of it then. I guess things sure have changed since.


To my knowledge, there was no representative of SBC present in the meeting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment