BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Even if John Henry buys Liverpool, I'm still not a Red Sox fan

Watching Liverpool FC today is like watching the Ateneo Blue Eagles of the 1990's. We were once the kings of college basketball then we stood idly by as other teams passed us by. It took quite a while for Letran, the team with the second most crowns back in the day for the grand old league to overhaul our then-record 14 titles in the NCAA. Then I had to endure watching teams like La Salle and FEU rack up titles at Ateneo's expense was tough, but the worm turns, right?

It's been like that for Liverpool. Since the Premier League began nearly 20 years ago, they've seen Manchester United catch up to the total number of domestic titles at 18! The Red Devils won 11 since the change from the First Division to the Premier League. Liverpool has had nothing since (although they do have a Champions League title and some various other Cups). But the trophies that matter are the EPL and the CL.

I wasn't sure how to react when I found out that New England Sports Ventures was purchasing the club (for $477 million) from those pair of idiots Tom Hicks and George Gillette Jr. Now New England Sports Ventures owns the Boston Red Sox and there aren't many teams I don't like and the Bosox are one of them. Obviously, that's because I'm a New York Yankee fan. Anyways, I... okay, I really do welcome the sale, even to -- gulp -- damn bitter pill to swallow -- NESP because I am hoping that they can turn the club's fortunes around. I tried staying up late to watch a few of their losses and well, I gotta get my sleep or there's catching up with episodes of Friday Night Lights that I missed.

My consolation in this sale is that NESP knows what they are doing. But I do hope they understand that baseball is far different from football. And they should get it right, it's "football" not "soccer." Not unless they want the Anfield faithful to continue their chants for "Yanks get out." And if things don't change, I'll be yelling the same.

Do I follow the Reds still? Of course, I do. Mercifully, my other teams are winning so it dulls the agony.

I hope that NESP partners John Henry and Tom Werner will have learned from those pair of bumbling Hick-ups and Gillette-go. It's time to turn things around for real. YNWA!

Photo above by Matthew Ashton. Thanks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment