BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, September 13, 2010

The 2010 UAAP Cheerdance Competition



The sign read: "0-14 = CDC Champs." I don't think anyone in the Araneta Coliseum (20,950 paying customers) figured that UP was tempting fate with such a bold statement. But really, the class of the competition has been centered around three schools -- UST (eight time champs), UP (six time champs) and FEU (two time champs). 

For sure, this was going to be one heck of a competition. Boy, was that an understatement.

Time was I skipped watching the UAAP Cheerdance Competition like it was the plague. I used to make jokes about it too. But in the last four years, there's been a change in the way I view the competition. The best way to appreciate and enjoy the CDC is to move around. When I arrived at the Araneta Coliseum, I first stayed in the media room and in the tunnel to get a buzz from the performers and the crews working behind the scene. 

Come the start, I stayed for a while up in the stands. Obviously, I sat with the Ateneo crowd but beside me I had supporters from different schools. I can say that I had a great time exchanging views and suggestions with students and alumni from the other schools. I'll be repeating that strategy.

After UP's performance, I went down once more to the tunnel where the teams were watching on the widescreen television provided by ABS CBN. It sure was great to seem members from all the squads huddled in the back watching together and like us in the stands, sharing notes.

I thought that FEU would win it (but by a slim margin over UP) but either way, I figure it's no shame. It was a fantastic competition. One, if I didn't have my pass, I'd gladly pay entrance for. It sure was great to see the UP basketball players in the venue to this team cheer the folks who've been there for them all season long. 

As early as the summer, teams were already working on their routines! Imagine that. The track and field teams train all year long for a four-day meet but the pep squads have only one day for themselves! 

But it sure was fun let me tell you. Next year again. Congratulations to the winners.




No comments:

Post a Comment