BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Retro Blue Eagles

RP Youth Team days: Olsen Racela (left) while Danny Francisco posts up this Chinese dude. Also on the team were Vergel Meneses and John Edel Cardel (Jun Limpot was also on that team). Man, I was totally whooping it up for that squad. Danny was the lone Pinoy in double figures against China in the gold medal match. We lost that game. Can't remember -- by 12 or 16 points? It was at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium (thanks to John Flores for correcting me here).
Ateneo Blue Eagles during my frosh year. From the left Llen Mumar and Ricky FariƱas, my classmates Alex Araneta, Robbie Tanjuatco, and Sep Canlas right there in the middle and Nonoy Chuatico on the extreme right. On the exteme left with his back turned is former Blue Eagle great and then head coach Chito Afable. Obviously we won in this game. I think against UST if I remember correctly. And short shorts rule, baby! Fab five freshmen that year in Jun Reyes, Jet Nieto, Llen Mumar, Alex Araneta, and Robbie Tanjuatco. Oh wait, we also had Randy Sevilla too! Manok!
Practice at the Loyola Center (Blue Eagle Gym for Gen Zers). Alex Araneta on the jump with Sep Canlas. Robbie Tanjuatco, Jun Reyes (shirtless) and Mel Basa look on. This takes me back a long time. Enjoy it as I put up more retro Blue Eagles stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment