BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Friday Stuff


Interesting reads from the latest issue of Time magazine:

- Facebook and how it is redefining privacy

- "Resumed Innocent" by Nathan Thornburgh on using DNA to prove that executed inmates were in fact innocent.

The game between Gael Monfils and Fabio Fognini at the French Open that was played until 9:55PM with only a scoreboard providing the available light. I am not familiar with the rules on games playing onto the night but I wonder if tournament official Stefan Fransson knew it was right. Anyways both Fabio Fognini and Gael Monfils agreed to go on so if there was any difficulty then they were just as much to blame. But what a bizarre match. Was hoping that Monfils would advance.

Manuel Pellegrini, former Real Madrid coach, hits back at Florentino Perez and his club for the lack of professionalism. And I totally agree with his comments (here reprinted from Soccernet from the radio interview with Cadena Ser):

"I came here with high hopes and great pride to manage this team. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do what I wanted to do and I had differences from the beginning of the season. There were a lot of disagreements in the club. I asked for them to keep (Wesley) Sneijder and (Arjen) Robben, who were two very important players for me. I missed having a debate on sporting issues, with the coach included. As (former Real coach and current Spain boss) Vicente Del Bosque said, even the club shows no respect for the position of the coach, and they don't give them the authority internally or externally. Florentino's project is extraordinary but I think he's got it wrong. It hurt above all because they had already tied up a new coach which isn't ethical. I wouldn't have spoken about a team that already had a coach in place. It isn't very ethical, but he (Jose Mourinho) is a coach that has proven he is a winner in every team he has been with."

No comments:

Post a Comment