BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

This takes me back when I first became a fan of football: the New York Cosmos

I purchased the DVD of this film at HMV. By the way, HMV moved to a new location at the more swanky 313 Somerset in Orchard Road. This one really filled the gaps of what I know about the team. It's rather unfortunate that Pele declined to be interviewed for this. ESPN came up with a great documentary that at times gets hilarious because the protagonists all the remember events differently. Faulty memory or just flat out lying? You be the judge. But I love the 1970's retro feel of the film. If you enjoyed the Will Ferrell movie Semi-Pro's retro touch then this is right up that alley. Great soundtrack too!

As for bonus features, it's got the highlights of Pele's final game where he donned the colors of the Cosmos in the first half and Santos in the second. He scored a goal for New York. You think that it's only in Europe you hear those massive stadium chants? Watch this and feel your hair stand up. And this is in 1977 at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey!

They've also got highlights from New York's final title year in 1980 and their 1981 loss to Fort Lauderdale.

I recall that the city of Boston won in the NBA, MLB, and NFL in a span of a few years. At this time of between 1975-1985, the New York Yankees won two World Series in four appearances, the New York Islanders won four straight Stanley Cups, and the Cosmos won four Soccer Bowl titles in five appearances. And just a few years before 1975, the Knicks won two NBA titles and the Cosmos one more. How's that for domination?

I've said several times before (and this film proves me right) that this team were the first true set of Galacticos -- Pele, Giorgio Chinaglia, Franz Beckenbauer, Carlos Alberto, Johan Neeskens, and many more. This team was totally ahead of its time!

No comments:

Post a Comment