BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, March 1, 2010

What can I say? It was well played. Congrats, Canada!

This is one of those games that even if the team you're rooting for lost, it's no shame because it was a bloody well-played one. It was riveting and worthy of a gold medal match. When Zach Parise flicked that puck underneath Roberto Luongo's pads with 24.4 seconds left in the third and final period, I was ready to parrot Al Michaels. Not with a "Do you believe in miracles?" but with a "Do you believe in deja vu?" I thought that Ryan Miller didn't cover the net very well when Sidney Crosby slapped that winning goal in. It was such an odd but difficult angle. But that's hockey. If Parise's goal sucked the life out of the stadium then Crosby's shot, well, it sucked the air out of me. 3-2 Canada. Double hockey gold. But what a ride? Team USA wasn't even expected to medal. Good job? Hell, it was a fantastic job still! And Ryan Miller... tournament MVP. Woooo!
Photos taken from Luke Winn of Sports Illustrated. Must have been one heck of an experience watching a Gold Medal match in such a frenzied atmosphere. Is it close to the Gold Medal game of the Dream Team against Croatia? The Redeem Team vs. Spain?

No comments:

Post a Comment