BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A little spring cleaning of my own



Was pulling out stuff -- things I need to do this Holy Week. Spring cleaning here in Manila. You see, am also taking this time to finish Turn On the Bright Lights that needs a little more editing. As I was rummaging through a folder, I found, much to my surprise, an envelope filled with game tickets to Yankee Stadium, movie tickets to AMC, Hudson Mall, Newport Centre, Kips, and other stuff. Will use them as part of the final jacket design.

What's in there? The New York Lottery tickets ($19 million was the jackpot prize for one ticket). There were like a dozen of them. Never won anything though. The Yankee tickets there were like two dozen of them against Tampa, Boston, Anaheim (now California), Texas, Seattle, Chicago, and Toronto among others. They cost $18 in the Upper Tier boxes. Easy internet is along 42nd Street. There's the 3D glasses for the Rockettes show at Rockefeller Center, a Hello Asia card that costs a dollar less than the retail price, a Metro Card, a schedule of comic book artist appearances at Midtown Comics, schedule of Masses at St. Patrick's Cathedral (I worked one block away and two from the NBA HQ), a guide to MOMA, a menu from Burger Heaven, the New York Post magazine (underneath the certificate of authenticity), and a pocket catalogue from Modell's.

This here is the 2004 New York Yankee Medallion Collection from the New York Post. Everyday, they would print a coupon in the pages of the newspaper that when you clip you could redeem from the news stand or other accredited exchange centers. At this time, I was moving for good from New Jersey (but was staying in Ewing a suburb of Trenton) to New York but before I left, I remember walking at 5am for about two miles from where I lived to go to 7-11 just to buy the Post and redeem the coupon. And it was autumn at the time and I had to leave early lest the supplier run out! Jeez. The things one does when he's a fan.

The next set are uncut trading cards from Fleer that you could get from the New York Daily News. One set is the cast of American Idol Season 3 (with Jasmine Trias and Camille Velasco) while the others are the Yankees and the Mets. Hahaha! Yan buking talaga na fanboy supreme.


The last is another clutter of basura I've accumulated -- promo Punisher (Thomas Jane era and I have a pic with him that's on my Face Book page) postcards, more phone cards, flyers for comic books conventions, a plane ticket to Detroit, a ticket to the Univer-soul circus (it's an alternative circus I went to at Prospect Park in Brooklyn that was fun to watch), a promo flyer for the schlock-glam rock Brit band The Darkness, a guide to my bus back to Jersey City (the 99S bus), and other stuff. Whew! What was I thinking of saving this stuff?



Turns out that with some of my stuff at my parents' place, I still have some memorabilia. I thought that everything was lost during Typhoon Ondoy. Found notebooks of stuff I wrote, scripts, a print out of the Craigslist ad we put out when we were giving tours in Manhattan, postcards from Mexico and the Museum of Natural History, and a few more items. I found my autograph of Marky Ramone. Will post that some time soon. I know I have a pic with Hillary Duff somewhere. Hahaha. Yes, I did serve as a chaperone for a cousin of mine who went to watch a concert.

Recovering them put a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment