BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Nonito Donaire debunks faceless writer

Nonito Donaire Jr. smiled last night as his wife placed a laptop on the table presenting the headline, “Nonito Donaire Jr got ‘no balls’ to fight big names, says one promoter.” The article, written by Simeon Vergara, illustrates a nameless promoter that accuses Nonito of ducking quality opponents. It also quoted Israel Vasquez calling out Nonito Donaire, and going as far as pondering if Nonito’s wife has something to do with the matching of Guerson Guerrero.

It is really sad to see that this ‘writer’ had not done his proper research before reporting on such a topic.

Nonito Donaire Jr, number 6 on Ring Magazine’s pound for pound list, and WBA Interim Champion, has been quoted numerous times calling out big names in and around his weight division. As a flyweight, after capturing the IBF and IBO belts from Vic Darchinyan, he called out Japan’s Naito and Sakata in hopes to unify the titles. But it never materialized. Moving up to superflyweight his dreams are the same, capture all the titles and move up in weight. Trying to break into the higher weight, Nonito served challenges to the likes of Montiel, Arce, and even welcomed a rematch with Darchinyan. He welcomed, let alone rolled out the red carpet with a sign that read, “Come one, Come all!” so he could accomplish his goals and prove he deserves to be in the pound for pound rankings. But alas, no one answered.

Nonito smiled like a little boy when he read Israel Vasquez was calling him out. “I’m honored, you know? I mean, growing up in boxing I never thought my name would be on the tongues of top named fighters. I hear my name here and there and it gets me going. I love the challenge.”

Nonito has been managed by Cameron Dunkin since 2005 and speaks nothing but praises of his current manager. “Cameron looks out for me. I put all my trust in him as far as my career goes. Whatever he decides, I go with.” Cameron has the same sediment about his fighter. “Nonito is a great fighter. He’s had a wishlist for awhile now of fighters he wanted to meet in the ring. Nonito is ready to fight anyone I put infront of him. You’ll never hear Nonito backdown. I guarantee it.”

When we talked to Rachel, we asked her why she selected Guerson Guerrero as Nonito’s next opponent. She couldn’t stop laughing. “That isn’t my job. I’m not his manager, Cameron is. You know what my job is? Waking up at 5am, picking up the sparring opponents for jogging, bringing them back to the house, returning them to the hotel, and doing that whole routing for afternoon practice. I do the laundry, clean, grocery, whatever he needs me to do. But I guarantee you that it has nothing to do with boxing.” What about barring Nonito from media contacts? “Really? I mean if he’s sleeping I’m not waking him up, if that’s what you mean. I think its rude for those who ask me to wake him up for an interview. But ask Mario Serrano who had an scheduled interview with Nonito yesterday or Ronnie Nathanielz, Quinito Henson—who are half way across the world and yet seem to still get interviews. Who says this stuff anyway?” When we told her it was a nameless promoter, she laughed again. “Nameless? As in nonexistent or scared? It’s easy to talk when they hide behind the shadows instead of coming out and saying what they need to say to your face. I would have respected them more if an actual person stood behind his name.”

Nonito is never shocked at his wife’s bluntness. “She’s a strong willed woman. I love her for that. She is a blessing in my life and knows her place by my side. She doesn’t interfere with my boxing, no matter what people think they know. And as far as what this ‘writer’ thinks he knows about the distance with my dad, he is blind enough not to see my dedicated fight to him, and my persistence to show him respect by mano-ing him everytime I see him regardless of our different views. He is still my dad.” Apparently hitting a soft topic, Nonito changes his tone.

“Well wouldn’t it be funny for me to call out a 105 pounder like Donnie Nietes? You’d say it’s a ten pound difference right? Same with me and Israel Vasquez. He’s 122 pounds. And as much as I am flattered that he called me out, I hope after I climb the weights and the contract is infront of him, he doesn’t hesitate to sign it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment